With its two halls and a cinema hall, the Municipal Theater of Kyustendil is a place where you can visit dramatic, puppet, opera, ballet productions, film screenings and exhibitions.
The beginning of the theatrical work in Kyustendil is considered to be 1873, when the play by Jovan St. was performed. Popovich “Evil Woman” – Bulgarianized by an anonymous author. The play was performed at the Cell School. All roles in the play are played by men. The production was greeted by people from Kyustendil with great enthusiasm. It is an interesting fact that the school classroom in which the performance took place was narrow and it was necessary to demolish one of the walls each time before the performance in order to make room for the audience, and after the performance the wall was rebuilt, so that students can use their classroom in the morning.
Until 1948, the theater did not exist independently, but was part of the activities of the community center “Brotherhood”. In 1948 it became a municipal institution and became an independent institution with director Krueger Nikolov. By a decree of the State Council in January 1953, the theater became the State National Theater – Kyustendil, and in 2005 the theater again became municipal.
For the period 1952 – 2010 323 plays by 190 authors were staged and performed. At the same time, 330 artists worked in the Kyustendil Theater, over 100 directors, about 60 artists – set designers.
Some of the more famous directors and artists who have visited the Kyustendil Theater are: Mois Benies staged “Golemanov” in 1954. Phone director Asen Trayanov staged “The Wedding of Figaro”, “The Morality of Mrs. Dulska”, “When You Listen to People” Radio – The director Georgi Avramov makes the productions of the plays “In the Lilac Garden” and “Dr.” The great playwright Nikola Rusev started working at the Kyustendil Theater as a director and staged “Vampire” The great TV director Hacho Boyadzhiev did his diploma work at the Kyustendil Theater by staging the play “Two Angels Come Down from Heaven” Dimitar Stratev – “Under the Yoke” Stefan Gadularov – “Roads” and “Anathema” Lilyana Todorova – “Candidate for the Moon”, “The Red Rooster”, “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” Stefan Karalambov – “Anxiety” Prof. Krastyo Mirski – “Daughter-in-law” “Prof. Sasho Stoyanov -” Sparks on the rocks “and” Star Trek “Prof. Elka Mihaylova -” Masters “and” The Flag “Stefan Getsov -” Hashes “Lyubomir Kabakchiev -” The Living Corpse “Asen Shopov -” Oh this Zinche “,” Black Comedy ”Prof. Nadezhda Seykova – “Boryana” and “Heracite” Nikola Petkov – “Duel”, “Golemanov”, “The Millionaire” Vili Tsankov – “Vampire” Vladimir Petkov – “Meetings on Wednesday” Prof. Rumen Rachev – “Sylvester’s Treasure” Dimitar Stoyanov – “Women’s Kingdom”
Great and famous Bulgarian artists have toured on the Kyustendil stage: Georgi Kaloyanchev, Stoyanka Mutafova, Ivan Yanchev, Violeta Doneva, Lyubomer Kabakchiev, Meglena Karalambova, Stefan Getsov, Georgi Georgiev – Getz, Yosif Sarchadzhiev, Asen Kisimov, Stoycho Maztaga Sirakov et al. The new building of the theater was opened on February 7, 1979 personally by the Minister of Culture Lyudmila Zhivkova with the play by Racho Stoyanov “Masters”, staged by Prof. Elka Mihaylova and toured the actress Meglena Karalambova in the role of Milkana. On December 16, 2008 a new chamber hall for puppet theater was opened with the premiere of the play “Puck” by Valeri Petrov, directed by Valentin Vladimirov. From 1952 until today, the theater has had the following
Directors: 1952 – 1962 – Angelina Georgieva 1962 – 1968 – Petar Kostov 1968 – 1976 – Vasil Chervenkov 1976 – 1989 – Dimo Ilinkin 1989 – 1990 – Ivan Stefanov 1990 – 1992 – Ivan Yanchev / Rumen Ivanov 1992 – 1993 – Vasil Chervenkov 1993 – 1996 – Ivan Stefanov 1996 – 1998 – Iliya Bozhilov / Dushko Dobrev 1998 – 2001 – Lozen Yordanov 2001 – 2003 – Rumen Dimitrov / Stefan Kashev / Orhan Tair 2003 – 2005 – Bella Tsoneva 2005 – 2008 – id Iliya Bozhilov 2008 – Chavdar Nenov
Address: Kyustendil, 26A Bulgaria Blvd.
tel: 078 98 73 37
tel / fax: 0888 860 761
Working hours on weekdays: 09:00. – 18:00
Working hours on public holidays: according to the program of organized events
Cultural calendar of events in 2020 in Kyustendil, here.
Halls and equipment
The big hall of the theater has a balcony and a ground floor with 689 seats. The stage mechanization and the presence of an orchestra gives the opportunity to hold both theatrical and opera and operetta performances and symphony concerts. Its size and technical capabilities make it the largest performing arts hall in all of southwestern Bulgaria.
The hall has 120 seats located next to the stage, which contributes to a stronger emotional connection between the actor and the spectator. It is extremely suitable for chamber and puppet shows.
With its 70 square meters of dance floor, balcony with dressing room, walls with mirrors and looms, the hall allows
the ability of the actors to rehearse the choreographies assigned to them in the performances, and in the evening it becomes a place where lovers of dance art rehearse.
The hall is located in the spacious central entrance of the theater and cinema, which contributes to the exhibitions to be visited and viewed by more art connoisseurs. It has artistic LED lighting and 41 sq.m. exhibition area on the walls, which makes it possible to exhibit up to 45 works with dimensions of 70/50 cm, individually lit. Access to the exhibitions is provided every day from 10.00. to 23.00
Zdravka Vlashka is an assistant director
Vasil Smokov – head of technical service
Biser Stoimenov – production manager
Rosen Shopski – sound designer
Toma Tomov – artistic illuminator
Tanya Mladenova is a hygienist
Chavdar Nenov – director
Tsvetanka Haralampieva – ch. accountant
Miglena Sefterska – cashier – host
Gergana Bozhilova – art. secretary